I went dark for awhile. And I don’t mean in the emo, gothic dark kind of way. I mean technologically speaking. We took some time to focus on family, because 2016 is winning.
These past couple of weeks have been a rather difficult time for my family . This difficult time required me to focus my attention and support towards my family, which included taking the family away for a weekend getaway to explore our home province. We checked out Drumheller, Calgary and Banff – this time all on our own terms.
This trip was also the first trip with the newly renovated camper. It was great and we had a blast, relaxing, exploring and enjoying our family time. We got to check out some new sites and visit some of our family favorite, Banff.
We love Banff, in fact my husband and I were engaged in Banff…nine years ago this month. And then married in Canmore almost eight years ago. One of our favorite places to visit when we are in Banff is Eddie’s Burger. A little tiny burger bar that serves fresh made burgers, the best wings EVER – honey hell, and alcoholic milkshakes. We measure all burgers against Eddie’s Burger. We suggest Eddie’s to everyone, it was actually suggested to us by a local. When we arrived a patron was leaving, asked if it was our first time, we said yes, and he said “best burgers, you won’t regret it.” He was right.
But enough about Eddie’s, you want to know what’s been cooking in my kitchen. Quiet a bit. I have a few recipes I’ve been testing, but thought I’d share a new one because it’s a cupcake…and we love cupcakes in our house. As I created this one, I was tossing between a mojito and sangria. There was quiet a lot of talk today on Facebook between my friends about sangria, so it was a close finish, but in the end, I had an abundance of peaches and rum, so Mojitos won out.
Peach Mojito Cupcakes
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon mint extract
- 1 large peach, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake tin with wrappers.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugar on medium for 3-4 minutes. Until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, beating between each addition. Add lime zest and juice and mint extract.
- Add dry ingredients, a little at a time, alternating with the milk until thoroughly combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in peaches.
- Fill liners with batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
Lime Rum Buttercream
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 package lime jello
- 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup white rum
- Cream butter until smooth.
- Add in two cups of icing sugar and lime jello powder and mix until incorporated.
- Add Lime juice and rum to thin out the icing.
- Pipe onto cupcakes and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
These are not as strong with alcohol as most, but add a bit of a slight punch. The mint definitely shines in these cupcakes with sweet peach nuggets balanced perfectly by the tart lime. These would make a great barbecue dessert for adults, or omit the rum and serve to everyone.
If you try out any of our recipes, please drop us a line and let us know what you thought? Or if you have an idea for a cupcake, we are always up for experimenting.