Across the internet people are sharing their Man Crush Monday’s. Well it just so happens that this Monday also coincides with my man crush’s birthday.
It’s hard to believe that we’ve been together for 10 years.
So what does our family do for birthdays…cupcakes of course – Black Forest Cupcakes to be exact, my husband’s favorite and actually the first cupcakes I took a risk with five years ago. Since then, well, cupcakes in our house have never been the same.
Now baking is a science and all measurements are to be exact. Sorry, you actually need to get out dry measuring cups and liquid measuring cups. This chocolate cake is vegan, and was adapted to accommodate the Cupcake’s friend who is allergic to eggs and dairy. This chocolate cupcake also happens to be one of my most requested cupcakes.
Black Forest Cupcakes
Recipe Adapted from Martha Stewart.
Makes 12 regular sized cupcakes
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp coarse salt
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup coconut oil, measured in liquid form
1 ¼ cup water
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp cherry syrup
1. Measure all ingredients together till incorporated and batter like. Similar to pancake batter.
2. Measure 1/3 cup batter into each lined cupcake well.
3. Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
4. Cool, on counter while you prepare filling and topping.
Vanilla Mousse filling
This is a quick and easy mousse when you’re short on time.
1 cup cold milk
1 package vanilla instant pudding
1 cup cool whip topping
1. Mix vanilla pudding with 1 cup milk and whisk until thick.
2. Add in cool whip topping and fold into pudding.
3. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Vanilla Whipped Cream Icing
2 cups Whip Cream
¼ cup icing cugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. Beat cream on high speed until stiff peaks form when pulled up.
2. Add sugar and vanilla and mix until incorporated
To Assemble cupcakes.
1 jar cherry filling
1. Cut a hole into your cupcake and cleave off the top.
2. Fill cupcake with vanilla mousse. Replace cupcake top.
3. Pipe a ring around the cupcake.
4. Spoon on cherry pie filling.
Enjoy with your friends and family, or just eat them all yourself. As for my friends, you know what happens when I make cupcakes…watch Facebook later this evening…there may be cupcakes up for grabs…maybe. Wink wink.